Saturday, January 14, 2017

2016 Books by Numbers



I'm a sucker for a good graph, so I've decided to create some simple data visualizations for my reading over the past year.

First, here's a chart showing how many books I read each month, where you can see my monthly totals drop sharply during the summer and then rise dramatically again afterwards.  Since my wife and I spent June hunting for a house and July moving in, that makes a lot of sense.



As you can see from the format breakdowns, I read a lot of picture books and comics.  This is partly due to work-- I have a part-time job in the Children's section of my local public library, and so I read a lot of picture books to stay up to date, and I likewise get a lot of questions about good comics for kids, but it's also a natural skew because while I like all sorts of books, visual storytelling will always have a special place in my heart.   Plus, most visual work is a lot faster to read, so I can zoom through a bunch of picture books while working through one longer novel or memoir.













Here's a further breakdown showing just how much my overall reading skews to visual mediums.  87.5% of all books I read in 2016 were primarily visual.  That percentage should actually probably be a little higher because some of what I categorized in monthly round-ups as "Nonfiction" was things like Lego books which are also primarily visual.  

No comments:

Post a Comment