Thursday, May 30, 2013

What are you reading?

I read a lot of books (those less these days than at some times in the past) and a fair number of magazines and newspapers.  Also, blogs.  And lots of other internet things.  But there is one reading source which often escapes attention in regular discussion which is of great import here.  After all, no compendium of all things Mattathias-y would be complete without at least a passing reference to web-comics.

I also like print comics, which combine two of my favorite things (words and pictures) into a marvelous new thing. Web-comics add a third ingredient: the internet.

I was first introduced to this wonderful medium when I was perhaps fifteen by the indomitable Olivia, my eldest sister, who started me on her favorite at that time, Cat and Girl, by Dorothy Gambrell.  About a year later, one of my Moskowitz cousins showed me xkcd.  In both cases, it was love at first sight.

Since then I've found many comics by many wonderful creators.  The amount of time and energy these artists devote to these projects, clearly primarily for the sheer pleasure of introducing their jokes or stories into the world, is awe-inspiring.  And some of the results are phenomenal.  True, many webcomics are junk, but that's just Sturgeon's Law in action.

I still like xkcd and check it often.  I occasionally go back to Cat and Girl, which is as good as ever.  But I've gravitated towards story comics that move forward with each update.  There are several that I began following before my mission which I caught up with in the months after I got home.  They still moved me.

Some stories just grab me.  Some art entrances me.  There's a certain amount of risk in following webcomics.  I've been disappointed more than once by a creator who abandons a project half-way.  People get busy, depressed, distracted.  But the best stories are worth it.  I want to share with you some of the best I've found.  So here's the current list of webcomics I'm following:

Vattu by Evan Dahm
Family Man by Dylan Meconis
Spacetrawler by Chris Baldwin
Lackadaisy by Tracy Butler
No Rest for the Wicked by Andrea Petersen
A Redtail's Dream by Minna Sundberg

Do you read any webcomics? What do you like about the medium?  Do you have any favorites I haven't listed here?

No comments:

Post a Comment